Under the general direction of the Assistant Director of Research, this position will provide administrative support for the Institute for Creative Research and Research Labs. The position’s primary areas of responsibility include budgetary, procurement, and travel support across a diverse cohort of labs. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize, and organize a diversified workload among all the labs. Generous benefits are available.
This position is a full-time term contract for a limited duration of up to 3 years from the date of hire. The appointment is annually renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and continued funding for three years. Salary and benefits offered are commensurate with the job description, and the successful candidate will be required to obtain CEID clearance to start receiving benefits per the employment guidelines of the State of Qatar.
Reports to: Assistant Director of Research
Department: Research and Development
Major Activities & Essential Functions
Budget, PR, & Banner
- Performs budget tracking, reconciliation, and analysis of all Research Lab budgets, and assists in the preparation of budget proposals by providing budget reports from previous expenditures and preparing lab budget summaries and proposals.
- Reconciles encumbrances and actual expenditures and provides feedback in relation to the labs’ expenses and any potential variances in the budgeted costs, as well as generates purchase order requisitions, processes personnel reimbursements such as petty cash, direct deposit, etc., and processes Independent Contractor Agreements (ICAs) for contracted guests.
- Researches purchase options and/or payment information to purchase necessary supplies and equipment and obtains quotations from different suppliers/vendors, and communicates the company’s payment policies & procedures to outside suppliers/vendors. Disseminates new procurement standards and procedures to faculty and other staff for compliance.
- Reviews contracts, purchase orders, and other procurement documents to ensure compliance with applicable policies and regulations, receives invoices in Banner for timely payment of vendors and suppliers, and tracks unpaid POs/invoices in Banner.
- Processes and completes all paperwork associated with travels, such as Travel Pre-approvals, etc., for research lab members, including faculty, collaborators, students, and alums, and coordinates research trips for research lab members, including faculty, collaborators, students, and alumni, with the HR team for flights, accommodation, visas, and transportation needs.
- Handles all air, rail, hotel, and car service reservations, entry fees, travel insurance, and visa documentation and application, as well as creates travel budget proposals by providing travel costs for budget requirements and ensuring compliance with university policies and procedures.
- Provides advice/recommendations related to travel budget and reviews travel policy to ensure compliance and applies cost savings to VCU-Q wherever possible, monitors faculty expenditure on travels and use of allocative travel funds, and provides a report/feedback.
- Establishes and maintains an organized filing system for the departments. Responsible for record keeping of 1) annual research lab proposals and reports, 2) lab policy documents, 3) individual lab outputs throughout the year, 4) and other documentation deemed necessary.
- Arranges and attends biannual lab meetings, weekly Office of Research meetings, and other special meetings as required, and takes minutes of the meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the Associate Dean for Research and Assistant Director of Research.
- Three to five years of experience in an administrative assistant capacity OR any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position OR a Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study.
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations is a must. The position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy.
- A strong public service orientation to interact and communicate with a diverse team in a fast-paced environment.
- knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and presentation software (MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) is a must.
Skills & Experience
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines.
- Positive attitude and desire to be in a customer service-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCUarts Qatar.