This program will take students on a journey through time by introducing them to different art movements and artistic techniques. Through these classes, they will take on different roles, such as curators, artists, art historians, and art critiques. This program will provide students with a platform to unleash their creativity, hone their artistic skills, and gain an educational background in art history.
Following the Covid-19 restrictions and regulations, this course will be offered online to ensure the safety of the students and instructors.
- Art History: Art History: Students will learn about the historical backgrounds of each of the art movements, and will be introduced closely to different artists from the selected art
- Concept Development: Students will learn the process of concept development of artworks from the different movements.
- Art Skills: Students will produce artwork using similar techniques from each movement, and learn to apply these techniques in their artistic practices.
- Curation: Curation: Every week, students will curate their own exhibitions with the artworks they produce, learn different curation methods and work in a group exhibition.
- Critical Thinking: Thinking: Students will learn to take a deep and critical look at artworks and learn how to analyze each of the artwork aspects.
The program will introduce the children to a different art movement every week, its historical backgrounds, and various art techniques. This will be done through interactive classes.
Art movements and techniques covered in the course:
Art Movement: Surrealism
Art Techniques: Painting and shading techniques
Art Movement: Abstract Expressionism
Art Techniques: Sculpture with Clay, casting, and molding basics (half cast technique)
Art Movement: Sculpture with Paper Mache making
Art Techniques: Conceptualism
Art Movement: Contemporary Art
Art Techniques: Basics of printmaking techniques
Please note: VCUQatar reserves the right to cancel classes for which not enough participants are registered. Already paid fees will be refunded.
Please do not purchase materials until VCUQatar has sent final course confirmation.
On occasions, there may be some more materials to be bought and brought in if and when advised by the instructor.
Most of the materials are available from any art supply shop, for example:
Nourbanu Hijazi is an artist, designer, illustrator, and educator. Her work mainly explores the human condition, specifically internal conflicts and mortality, examining these elements from a philosophical and psychological perspective through surreal and mythological themes created by a combination of analog and digital processes.
She graduated with an MA in Gallery and Museum Practice, from University College London. MFA in Design, from Virginia Commonwealth University of the Arts in Qatar, Qatar, 2018. BFA in Fine arts and Design, University of Sharjah, UAE, 2015.
To see more of her work please visit:
BFA in Painting & Printmaking with Minor in Art History, from Virginia Commonwealth University of the Arts in Qatar, Qatar, 2020
Salma Awad is an interdisciplinary artist who explores the concept of healing the emotional and spiritual self in the modern world. Her artworks respond to her thoughts and feelings as she walks on this journey of self-awareness. She uses artmaking as a form of therapy and her mediums can vary from a painting, print, sculpture, installation or a performance piece.
Salma is based in Doha, Qatar, and has participated in group exhibitions locally. She has also instructed community classes and workshops for students and workers. She worked as an artist assistant which opened doors to her artistic development.