Virtual Services & Online Resources
Schedule a meeting with a Librarian or Another Department Expert
- Librarians are available to work one-on-one with students and faculty via Zoom. We can help you find the sources you need, develop your information fluency skills, navigate the research process efficiently, and learn more about citations.
Schedule a meeting with a librarian
Tell Us What You Need
- Suggest a purchase. We will do our best to expedite any requests related to transitioning to virtual teaching and remote work.
Access to Online Resources
- All electronic resources (ebook, journal articles, and databases) remain available through the Art and Design Library and are accessible from off-campus through Primo.
- Faculty, staff, and students have access to many popular databases (Jstor, Academic Search Complete, Proquest), image and video databases, and art-specific databases.
- The database A-Z list and databases by subject provide access to online journals, ebooks, videos and documentary, images, and other scholarly material.
- Faculty, staff and students have access to Material ConneXion’s online database of 10,000+ materials. Sign in with your VCU eID and password.
- The Writing Center has a growing database of citation guides and writing resources available here.
Access to the Collections
Library books may be requested directly through the library system. Select the title of the book you would like to request, sign-in with your eID, and then click 'request'. We will pull the book(s) from the collection and hold them for you at the VCUarts Qatar Security Desk (located inside the main entrance to the building). Books may be picked up from the Security Desk between 8:00 am-9:00 pm, 7 days a week. Photo ID is required to pick up books. Please allow 48 hours for your book request to be filled. You will receive an email notification when your books are ready to be picked up.
Check out this video to see how easy it is to request library books
Requesting Books and Interlibrary Loans
- We are not currently able to provide print/physical reserves, but we will work with you to select alternative online resources.
- Interlibrary loan services from partner Education City campus libraries and the Qatar National Library remain available.
- You can still request digital articles via interlibrary loan services (ILLiad).
- For articles and book chapters not available online, please email us directly.
- New ebooks: specific requests for ebooks can be submitted to this form.
Requesting Equipment & Studio Spaces Online
- VCUQ students, faculty and staff can check out equipment by reserving item through IMS Equipment Reservation Catalogue.
- Equipment must be reserved at least 48 hours before scheduled pick-up time. Requestors will receive an email confirmation when items are on hold.
- Here is the instructional video on how to reserve equipment online.
- Studio bookings can also be made online by logging into VCUQ intranet.
- For more information, contact Christina Andrews.
For the Fall 2020 semester, instruction support provided by librarians will be predominantly synchronous guest lectures using Zoom, BlackBoard Collaborate, or Canvas or through course-specific, curated asynchronous content. For questions about how these sessions would work, contact your library liaison.
- Librarians are here to help you identify existing and/or alternative resources, develop or revise course assignments, build discipline or assignment specific Research/Course Guides for your students, curate film and documentary playlists, meet one-on-one for research consultations, and more.
- The Writing Center is available for online in-class workshops, please email Nicole Abiad for information.
Need to Unwind?
- VCUarts Qatar Libraries has many streaming video databases - full list.
- Current streaming favourite, Kanopy and Swank offer documentaries, feature films, shorts, and more.
Please remember that we are here to support and help however we can, and we are just a phone call or email away.