25 August 2022
The Art Law Lab’s Dialogues Series: Creative Practice and Legal Frameworks in Qatar
In this inaugural Dialogues session, participants will focus on the perceptions of applicable legal frameworks related to creative practice from the perspectives of Qatar-based artists and designers. The panel discussion will take place on Sunday, August 28 from 12:15PM.
The Art Law Lab, a research initiative which is part of our Institute for Creative Research, will hold a panel discussion on Sunday, August 28 from 12:15PM, titled, “Creative Practice and Legal Frameworks in Qatar.”
The talk is part of the Art Law Lab’s Dialogues Series.
In this inaugural Dialogues session, participants will focus on the perceptions of applicable legal frameworks related to creative practice from the perspectives of Qatar-based artists and designers.
Some of the questions that will be addressed include:
- Does creative practice have a role as an agent for social change in the Gulf?
- How is creative practice affected by differing local and international interpretations of artists’ rights?
- To what extent are actors in the Qatari artworld aware of the regulatory legal frameworks to create, sell, collect, and display works of art and design?
- What are some of the challenges creative practitioners might face in relation to their rights and freedoms based on any special status (migrants, activists, etc.)?
- To what extent are prevalent laws helpful devices in addressing these concerns?
The Art Law Lab’s Dialogues Series aims to foster interdisciplinary exchange on the intersections between creative practice, the art market, cultural heritage, and various disciplines of law among Qatar’s artists, designers, curators, collectors, art dealers, auction houses, cultural institutions, the legal community, and members of the public.
The Dialogues Series is a public forum to facilitate open discussion. Audience members are welcome to join the conversation with the panelists.
Date: Sunday, August 28
Time: 12:15 PM to 2:00 PM
Location: VCUarts Qatar, Education City, Atrium
Refreshments: Light lunch
The Art Law Lab is a research initiative under VCUarts Qatar’s Institute for Creative Research. The Lab is co-directed by Dr. Radha Dalal (Director of Art History, VCUarts Qatar) and Dr. Eleni Polymenopoulou (Associate Professor, HBKU College of Law).
Parking: Due to limited parking at VCUarts Qatar during normal academic hours, please enter Education City through Gate 5 (Oxygen Park Parking Lot) and take the QF Tram (Stop 15) to the ceremonial court (Stop 10) to access the facility. A green EHTERAZ status is required as well as a face covering to be worn for building access.