History; Science, Technology & Society
Doctor of Philosophy, History, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London, 2012.
Magister der Philosophie, History, University of Vienna, 2007.
Magister der Philosophie, Arabic Studies, University of Vienna, 2007.
I am very fortunate to work as a faculty member in the Liberal Arts & Sciences program at Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Qatar. I also have the honor of serving as an associate editor of the Review of Middle East Studies. Previously, I had the good fortune of working at Zentrum Moderner Orient, Freie Universität Berlin, SOAS, University of London, and King Saud University. I also had the privilege of being a visiting scholar at the King Faisal Center for Research and Islamic Studies.
I am deeply grateful to a number of organizations for generously supporting my research. They include Qatar Foundation, Gerda Henkel Stiftung, the British Society for Middle Eastern Studies, the Abdullah Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah Foundation, the Society for Arabian Studies, the Royal Society for Asian Affairs, and Stiftung Hans. Finally, I sincerely thank my family, friends, colleagues, students, teachers and mentors for their invaluable guidance, encouragement and assistance.
My research interests lie in the history of science and scholarship and in the history of the Muslim world. I am immensely thankful to I.B. Tauris for publishing the following four books of mine: Historiography in Saudi Arabia; Researching Biology and Evolution in the Gulf States; Space Science and the Arab World; and Islam, Science Fiction and Extraterrestrial Life. My current project is entitled Diversifying Modern Astronomy: A History of Science and Activism. You can find more about my research here.
- HIST 341 The Modern Middle East
- HIST 340 The Middle East, 600-1600
- HIST 201 The Art of Historical Detection
- HIST 101 and 102 Survey of European History
- SCTS 200 Science in Society: Values, Ethics and Politics
- Islam, Science Fiction and Extraterrestrial Life: The Culture of Astrobiology in the Muslim World. London: I.B. Tauris, 2021.
- Space Science and the Arab World: Astronauts, Observatories and Nationalism in the Middle East. London: I.B.Tauris, 2018.
- Researching Biology and Evolution in the Gulf States: Networks of Science in the Middle East. London: I.B.Tauris, 2015.
- كتابة التاريخ في المملكة العربية السعودية: العولمة والدولة في الشرق الأوسط، ترجمة عبدالله بن إبراهيم العسكر. بيروت: جداول، 2015.
- ”Dynastic Periodization and its Limits: Historiography in Contemporary Arab Monarchies.” Der Islam 91, no. 1 (2014): 95–114.
- Historiography in Saudi Arabia: Globalization and the State in the Middle East. London: I.B.Tauris, 2014.
- “The Crusades in Arab School Textbooks.” Islam and Christian-Muslim Relations 19, no. 2 (2008): 199–214.
- “The History of Astrobiology and the Muslim World.” Global Digital History of Science Festival, British Society for the History of Science, 2020.
- “The International Astronomical Union and the Arab World: Bridging Communities in Science and Outreach.” XXXth General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union, Vienna, Austria, 2018.
- “Lord of the Worlds: Islam, Astrobiology, and Science Fiction in the Middle East.” World Congress for Middle Eastern Studies, Fundación Tres Culturas del Mediterráneo and Universidad de Sevilla, Seville, Spain, 2018.
- “Muslim Worlds: Extraterrestrial Life and Scientific Imagination in the Middle East.” British Society for Middle Eastern Studies Annual Conference, New Approaches to Studying the Middle East, King’s College London, United Kingdom, 2018.
- “Arab Space Science: Cosmopolitanism and Nationalism.” 25th International Congress of History of Science and Technology, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2017.
- “La conquête arabe de l’espace.” Rendez-vous de l’Histoire du monde arabe, troisième édition, Frontière(s), Institut du monde arabe, Paris, France, 2017.
- “Arab World Science: Transnational Networks and Modern Astronomy.” British Society for Middle Eastern Studies Annual Conference, Networks: Connecting the Middle East Through Time, Space and Cyberspace. University of Wales Trinity Saint David, United Kingdom, 2016.
- “Arab World Science: Transnational Astronomy and Modern Egypt.” Eighth Three Societies Meeting of the British Society for the History of Science, the Canadian Society for the History and Philosophy of Science, and the History of Science Society, Transitions. University of Alberta, Canada, 2016.
- “Rentier science: history of biology and evolution in the Arab Gulf States.” British Society for the History of Science Annual Conference, Swansea University, Wales, 2015.
- “Biology, Evolution and Scientific Islands of Efficiency in Arabia.” Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society for the History and Philosophy of Science, held as part of the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Ottawa, Ontario, 2015.
- “Transnational Biology and Astronomy in the Gulf: Globalization and Science in the Middle East.” Liberal Arts International Conference Looking Forward, Looking Back: Transnational Perspectives on Globalization, Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2015.
- “Researching Biology and Evolution in the Gulf States: Networks of Science in the Middle East.” Qatar Foundation Annual Research Conference, Doha, Qatar, 2013.
- “Globalization, the State, and Narrative Plurality: Historiography in Saudi Arabia, 1924–2010.” 44th Annual Meeting of the Middle East Studies Association (MESA), San Diego, California, United States of America, 2010.
- “Globalization, the State, and Narrative Plurality: Historiography in Saudi Arabia, 1932–2010.” Third World Congress for Middle Eastern Studies, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain, 2010.
- Distinguished Achievement in Research Award, Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar, 2015.
- BRISMES Leigh Douglas Memorial Prize for the best PhD dissertation on a Middle Eastern topic, British Society for Middle Eastern Studies and Leigh Douglas Memorial Fund, 2013.
- Abdullah Mubarak BRISMES Scholarship, Abdullah Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah Foundation and the British Society for Middle Eastern Studies, 2010.
- Sir Peter Holmes Memorial Award for Travel, Royal Society for Asian Affairs, United Kingdom, 2009.
- Prize (Würdigungspreis) for the best university graduates in Austria, Austrian Federal Minister of Science and Research, 2007.
- Associate Editor, Review of Middle East Studies (Middle East Studies Association and Cambridge University Press), since 2017.
- Member, Editorial Board, Wiener Zeitschrift für die Kunde des Morgenlandes (University of Vienna), since 2016.
- Chair, Teaching and Learning Committee, Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar, 2020–2021.
- Chair, Faculty Research Grant Committee, Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar, 2018–2019.
- Co-chair, Faculty Advisory Committee, Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar, 2016–2017.
- Chair, Research Development Committee, Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar, 2013–2015.