Art Foundation Studio Teaching Assistant - Time Studio
The Art Foundation program is looking for talented individuals to take a Studio Teaching Assistant position in one of the four core studios of the program (Drawing, Surface, Space, and Time) for the 2021/2022 academic year. It is a challenging and rewarding position, ideal for someone who is looking to gain teaching experience as well as expand their skills in foundational studies.
This is a non-sponsored hourly position with no benefits. Applicants must have a valid residence permit and currently live in Qatar. Preferences will be given to VCU alumni.
Reports to: Studio Faculty of Record and Director of Art Foundation
Major Activities & Essential Functions
- Assists the faculty in the classroom daily activities in general and as required, in accordance with the specificities of each studio course and maintains the classroom and materials, and keeps them organized for maximum efficiency for in-class work.
- Develops a tutoring schedule and keeps track of student engagement in this area through documentation as well as meets individually as necessary with students to answer questions and assists with their creative and technical process.
- Participates in discussions on the course’s online forum, including online feedback to students with questions and provides additional hours for technical support to meet students outside of class time.
- Keeps accurate daily attendance records and manages file organization and compilations as well as assists in display, documentation, and archiving of the studio work.
- Assists in preparing presentations, conducting visual research, and drafting project briefs. and with the support of the faculty of record, may develop and lead either a class project or workshop, to expand teaching portfolio.
- Occasionally assists the studio faculty in research activities as well as performs job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Develops department resources such as online documentation including social media and contributes to other departmental tasks as necessary.
- A BFA or MFA in Fine Arts / Design.
- A strong work ethic and interest in the subject matter.
- Positive attitude and desire to be in a service-oriented and challenging educational environment.
- Experience documenting artwork, in process and final form, familiarity with studio photography, and social media.
- Fluent in photography and video.
- Fluent in Adobe Creative Suite.
Skills & Experience
- Excellent time-management skills, ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines.
- Superb communication and organizational skills.
- A high level of accuracy and diligence.
- Willingness to work within a cooperative structure - working in a team.
- Patience, flexibility, and a positive attitude.
- Problem-solving attitude and leadership qualities.
- Solid audio-visual literacy.
- Fluent in Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Premiere and Audition.
- Strong verbal and English language skills.
- Preference for individuals with experience in spoken Khaleeji Arabic and written Arabic.
Apply for this job online
Review of applicants will begin immediately.