Assistant Director of Personal Development & Counselling Services
The office of Personal Development and Counseling services at VCUarts Qatar contributes to the holistic wellbeing and success of a culturally diverse community of students within a dynamic and rigorous American academic program in the state of Qatar. As one of the units within the Division of Student Affairs, this office focuses on student development through carefully designed interactive programming and personalized individual services. The Assistant Director of Personal Development and Counseling Services will provide mental health services for students, in addition to providing personal development initiatives to develop physical, mental, emotional, social, and spiritual wellness. Supervision, training, and development of or mentoring of student workers, peer mentors, or other paraprofessionals is another key responsibility of this position. This position will also help manage student health records. This position will oversee the operations of the Office alongside the Director of PDCS, and in lieu of the Director of PDCS, will act on behalf of the Director of PDCS.
Reports to: Director of Personal Development & Counselling Services
Major Activities & Essential Functions
Working under the direction of and in collaboration with the Director of Personal Development and Counseling Services within the Division of Student Affairs, the Assistant Director of PDCS will be responsible for:
- Provides mental health services to students (individuals and groups) as part of the counseling team with the Director of Personal Development and Counseling Services:
- Provides intake/diagnostic evaluations;
- Engages in case evaluations and crisis intervention;
- Assists with the emergency response if needed;
- Provides psychotherapy;
- Refers and follows up process;
- Consults with faculty, staff, students, and/or family as appropriate as needed;
- Assists with day-to-day walk-in appointments for students needing urgent assistance.
- Plans, develops, coordinates, and evaluates personal development and wellbeing programming with the Director of Personal Development and Counseling Services in response to student needs and demands:
- Implements programs that address personal growth and wellbeing, such as mental, emotional, social, and physical wellness within the context of VCUarts Qatar;
- Plans, coordinates, delivers, and evaluates health promotion and education programs;
- Develops and uses a variety of educational methods and materials including but not limited to social media;
- Increases access for the entire VCUQ student population to information, programs, and services that promote holistic wellbeing;
- Initiates collaborative interactions and coalitions with individuals and centers that have an interest in these areas;
- Creates accessible and digestible materials on wellness information for students and the community;
- Gathers relevant data and reviews current literature on the relevant topics for students in the community;
- Ensures cultural responsiveness of all programs and interactions;
- Manages wellness library and fosters a curiosity for understanding and life-long learning of self;
- Disseminates information regarding resources available in the community for prevention, cure, and treatment of health and health-related issues;
- Oversees immunization requirements and relevant health records as required by VCU and VCUarts Qatar;
- Collaborates with VCU home campus for questions regarding health promotion, immunization records, or other needs in collaboration with the Director.
- Assists with Student Accessibility and Educational Opportunity accommodations in collaboration with the Director of Personal Development and Counseling Services:
- Supports Director with educating and disseminating information about the variety of accommodations available;
- Provides administrative support and record-keeping for disability accommodation processes including tracking and monitoring of cases and renewal dates;
- Works with VCUarts key offices (Facilities, Maintenance, etc.) to manage accommodation needs once approved;
- Assist students in how to obtain the correct documentation needed.
- Assists in strategic planning for Office which supports institutional goals and objectives;
- Assists in the development and implementation of policies and procedures;
- Monitors the international student health insurance requirement to assure students meet VCUarts Qatar criterion;
- Assist students with obtaining health cards if needed;
- Facilitates data collection and reporting for the office including but not limited to annual, administrative, and external inquiries;
- Monitor and respond to confidential matters including covid or other relevant health concerns and provide tracking and daily statistics as needed or mandated;
- Runs daily administrative tasks and assists the Director in operating and managing the Office;
- In absence of the Director, functions as the day-to-day contact person and operates on behalf of the Director in decision making and communication with the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs when appropriate;
- Maintains fiscal oversight and management of budget and reporting in collaboration with the Director.
- Participates actively in VCUarts Qatar and Education City collaborations in collaboration with the Director:
- Participates in the Education City Case consult team and Health Advisory Board committees;
- Supports Qatar Foundation/Education City/Qatar health and wellness initiatives on campus including but not limited to vaccine clinics, awareness months, sports day, etc.;
- Creates positive relationships and collaborations with other Education City and VCUarts Qatar colleagues and students;
- Assist with vaccine scheduling clinics as needed with the QF Clinic;
- Assists with Education City emergency response as needed;
- Assists with New Student Orientations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- An earned Master’s degree in Counseling or Clinical Psychology; or a Master’s degree in Social Work with 5 years or more experience
- Strong preference will be given to professionals who have a proven track record in the provision of university-based treatment and outreach services to the Arab population
- Experience with mental health assessment, CBT/RET, Myers Briggs, stress management approaches, mindfulness, communication skill, conflict resolution, and crisis intervention highly preferred
- Knowledge of PC package tools: including word-processing (Word), Spreadsheets (Excel), and Presentations (PowerPoint).
Skills & Experience
- Experience with culturally diverse populations is strongly preferred
- Excellent communication skills and English language skills, both oral and written
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of a diverse population in a university setting.
- Strong presentation and/or teaching skills
- Strong organizational and motivational skills
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Excellent time management skills, ability to multitask, and work to tight deadlines
- Superb communications and organizational skills
- A high level of accuracy, work ethic & a diligent worker
- Willingness to work within a cooperative structure - working in a team
- Positive attitude and desire to be in an educational learning environment
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCUQatar.
Apply for this job online
Review of applicants will begin immediately.