The VCUQ X_labs: new making and computation group is looking for a talented recent graduate or graduating senior, with an interest in computational design, to take a temporary position as a research assistant.
It’s a challenging and rewarding position, perfect for someone who is looking to deeply expand their skills, Computational Design, Coding, Digital Fabrication, and other related fields. In addition to performing the duties of the job, The Research Assistant will be challenged to work on creative projects, which will expand the individual’s skills, while also developing the resources and capabilities of the X_Labs: New Making and Computation Group and building their own creative portfolio.
This is a non-sponsored hourly position with no benefits. Applicants must have a valid residence permit and currently live in Qatar.
Reports to: X_Labs Supervisor
Major Activities & Essential Functions
- Works on creative projects to expand skills in the areas of Computational Design, Coding, Digital Fabrication, and other related activities.
- Oversees the Web and Social Media Accounts for the X_Labs: New Making and Computation Group and assists Faculty with Research and Fabrication of X_Labs projects.
- Assists in the scheduling of guest speakers, online tutorials, and demonstrations as well as performs job related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Fine Arts / Design.
- A strong work ethic and interest in the subject matter.
- Positive attitude and desire to be in a service-oriented and challenging educational environment.
Desired Qualifications Specific to the Studio:
- Solid audio-visual literacy and a sincere interest in Computational Design.
- Fluent in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Working knowledge of various social media platforms, including Instagram/IG Live, YouTube, Twitter, Twitch, etc.
- Working knowledge of Rhino, Revit, AutoCAD
- Previous experience with Coding in C+, Python, Processing, Grasshopper or Arduino is a plus!
Skills & Experience
- Excellent time-management skills, ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines.
- Superb communication and organizational skills.
- A high level of accuracy and diligence.
- Willingness to work within a cooperative structure - working in a team.
- Patience, flexibility, and a positive attitude.
- Problem solving attitude and leadership qualities.
Apply for this job online
Review of applicants will begin immediately.