Teaching & Research Assistant in Emerging Digital Design Practices
The Department of Graphic Design at VCUArts Qatar seeks someone with specific abilities relative to the development of digitally-oriented tools and processes. Applicant should be highly self-motivated and engage with both students and faculty to support departmental digital design teaching and research that ultimately contributes to the department’s playing a dynamic role in graphic design education and research involving emerging technologies with creative practices relevant to cultural production and social innovation.
This position consists of 20 hours per week for a period of 16 weeks beginning on August 23, 2020, and ending on December 13, 2020. Specifically, this position requires 8 hours per week dedicated to supporting teaching and learning as an assistant to one or two Graphic Design studio courses taught by full-time Graphic Design faculty. The remaining 12 hours are to be dedicated to creative research in the area of multilingual typography and/or type design.
This is a non-sponsored hourly position with no benefits. Applicants must have a valid residence permit and currently live in Qatar. Preferences will be given to VCU alumni.
Major Activities & Essential Functions
- Becomes oriented to university and departmental policies relevant to being in a classroom as a teaching assistant before the first class-session so as to support course instructors in their constructive enforcement.
- Follows the direction of the course instructor to assist in the instruction involving digitally-oriented design, and related learning. This includes completing any class session preparations assigned but the course instructor and being present in all class sessions.
- Develops, completes, and documents creative research that investigates digital mediums, methods, and modes of making with relevance to cultural production and/or social innovation.
- Provides the Department Chair a final report and documentation of the research achieved.
- BFA or higher degree in a field related to graphic design
- Ability to formulate and manage a partially mentored creative research process in the area of digital mediums, methods, and modes of making.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm toward supporting the studio teaching and participating in the creative research community within a multicultural environment of VCUarts Qatar.
Skills & Experience
- Strong record of creative practice involving digital technologies.
- Exceptional interpersonal and collaboration skills
Apply for this job online
Review of applicants will begin immediately.