Teaching & Research Assistant in Multilingual Typographic Design
The Department of Graphic Design at VCUArts Qatar seeks someone with specific abilities relative to the development of multilingual typographic tools and practices. The applicant should be highly self-motivated and engage with both students and faculty to support departmental typographic research that ultimately contributes to the department's progress toward the eventual development of a regional center for typographic inquiry.
This position consists of 20 hours per week for a period of 16 weeks beginning on August 23, 2020, and ending on December 13, 2020. Specifically, this position requires 8 hours per week dedicated to supporting teaching and learning as an assistant to one or two Graphic Design studio courses taught by full-time Graphic Design faculty. The remaining 12 hours are to be dedicated to creative research in the area of multilingual typography and/or type design.
This is a non-sponsored hourly position with no benefits. Applicants must have a valid residence permit and currently live in Qatar. Preferences will be given to VCU alumni.
Major Activities & Essential Functions
- Becomes oriented to university and departmental policies relevant to being in a classroom as a teaching assistant before the ﬁrst class-session in order to support course instructors in their constructive enforcement.
- Follows the direction of the course instructor to assist in the instruction of multilingual typography, type design, and related learning. This includes completing any class session preparations assigned but the course instructor and being present in all class sessions.
- Develops, completes, and documents creative research that investigates multilingual typographic forms, techniques, and/or cultural signiﬁcation or expression.
- Provides the Department Chair a ﬁnal report and documentation of the research achieved.
- BFA or higher degree in a ﬁeld related to multilingual typography and type design;
- Ability to formulate and manage a partially mentored creative research process in the area of multilingual typography and/or type design.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm toward supporting the studio teaching and participating in the creative research community within a multicultural environment of VCUarts Qatar.
Skills & Experience
- Strong record of creative practice.
- Exceptional interpersonal and collaboration skills.
Apply for this job online
Review of applicants will begin immediately.