Download the Symposium Schedule
The symposium theme centers on exploring the definition and practice of interdisciplinary design. Increasingly, the boundaries between design disciplines have become more fluid. What was once perceived as solid is quickly dissolving, forming a perpetual cycle of reinvention and revision of how we conceive, generate and realize a design. The establishment of interdisciplinary design programs within institutions of higher education is an acknowledgement and reflection of this development.
What this actually entails, though – particularly in the context of design - remains open to rigorous debate. This symposium aims, through a variety of means, to investigate and clarify the paradigms that shape the field of interdisciplinary design.
Themes for the presentation and paper include (but are not limited to):
- Definitions of design based Interdisciplinarity
- Advantages/ disadvantages of an Interdisciplinary approach in design
- Interdisciplinarity within design related Academia – program and curriculum development
- Interdisciplinarity within Design Practice – examples of projects and methodologies
- Technology driven Interdisciplinarity
- Historical precedents for Interdisciplinarity
- Interdisciplinary Design Theory
- Entrepreneurial Interdisciplinarity
- Related etc.